With every step you take, your feet and heels are taking on the full weight of your body. It's not surprising that there would be some wear and tear after a while -- especially if you regularly participate in strenuous activities like sports. If you've been having problems with persistent heel pain, this isn't an issue that you should continue to ignore -- consult a podiatrist at The Foot & Ankle Clinic in Spokane Valley, WA, and Hayden and Kellogg, ID, for help.
Possible Causes of Heel Pain
Your heel allows you to stretch your foot when in movement and provides support to the ankle, arch and calf. When this part of your foot is damaged, inflamed or irritated in some way, the feeling of discomfort is almost impossible to ignore. Look at these common causes of heel pain:
- Plantar fasciitis (often related to heel spurs)
- Achilles tendinitis and tendon ruptures
- Heel bone fractures
- Rheumatoid arthritis (inflammation of the joints and tissues)
- Bursitis (inflammation of the sacs around bones and tendons)
- Rawness and irritation on the back of the heel from wearing boots and uncomfortable heels
Why You Shouldn't Ignore Heel Problems
Heel pain should be addressed and treated as soon as possible because the longer the condition worsens, the more difficult it is to heal the muscles, tendons and ligaments that may be damaged. In extreme cases, invasive surgery may be needed.
Healing Your Heel Pain
A non-invasive solution to heel pain is the one that is normally preferred by your podiatrist. These are some of the most common methods of treatment that your podiatrist at The Foot & Ankle Clinic in Spokane Valley, Hayden and Kellogg may employ:
- Exercises to stretch the muscles and physical therapy
- Ice therapy to ease inflammation
- Custom orthotics (such as arched inserts)
- Padding and strapping the feet
- Corticosteroid injections for inflammation
- Wearing a splint at night
Consult with a Foot Doctor
Don't ignore heel pain—as you get older you'll begin to realize just how important mobility and foot comfort is to your quality of life. Call Dr. Jacqueline Babol today to schedule an exam at one of her offices—she has convenient locations in Spokane Valley, WA, and Hayden and Kellogg, ID.